Friday, February 28, 2014

The Story of How I Got Called on a Mission

Once upon a time, I got this envelope in the mail the other day. It looked like this:


What actually happened was that I was at work and my MOM got this envelope in the mail. Then she texted me during my lunch break. And I was so excited I could hardly eat my food. So you guessed right. I had the longest shift of my life. Then I came home! Yay! And there was this humongous letter for Sister Sarah Nicole Whiting on the table. So then my family all left and I was home alone with it. For like 2 hours!! And I couldn't open it!! So I just sort of stared at it for 2 hours. :/

Then finally I opened it. And it said this:

"Dear Sister Whiting,

You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Canada Edmonton Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 18 months.

You should report to the Provo Missionary Training Center on Wednesday, June 18, 2014. You will prepare to preach the gospel in the English language. Your assignment may be modified according to the needs of the mission president."

It also said other stuff. But I don't want to type all of it. Instead. Check out the videos on my Facebook!


Yes. In the video I said "Ed-mon-ton". But believe me, it's not a mistake I'll make again. Anyways. There was a bunch of crying and laughing and stuff. In fact, there was so much excitement and happiness and nervousness and such that I went to bed with a major headache. It was a spiritual headache...yeah. That's right. :) I still cry every time I watch the video of reading my call. It's so exciting! :) Anyways. So here's a bit about Edmonton. In case you didn't know.

It is the capital of Alberta Canada. It is basically a bazillion miles North of Boise. :) The average annual temperature is 40 degrees Fahrenheit. In the winter it gets down to -45 degrees of colder. In the summer it gets up to 65 degrees. So I think it's safe to say I will be colder in Edmonton than Jeff is in Sapporo. Haha. What an awesome way to bond. We're both freezing cold missionaries! I looked at some parts of Edmonton via Google maps street view. It basically looks exactly like Boise but colder. And also the street lights are horizontal not vertical. Weird huh? Other than that and having a super sweet flag, I don't know anything. 

Since I got my call, I've listened to Celine Dion singing the Canadian National Anthem about a million times. Thank you Celine. OH CANADA!

Haha. Ok. Enough with this funny business. I have something serious to say. 

So, I've always wanted to go on a mission. But as it got closer, I decided I REALLY wanted to know BEFORE my call came, that wherever I was assigned was the right place for me. So that's what I've prayed and fasted for the past few weeks. Well I can tell you right here, right now, that Heavenly Father heard and answered my prayers. As soon as I read that I will serve in Canada, I just knew it was the PERFECT mission for me. I can't see myself going anywhere else in the world. As crazy as it sounds, I already feel like I love all the people there. I already want to serve them and help them learn about Christ. I just wish I already knew them! (enter a sweet recording of "I Just Haven't Met You Yet" by Michael Buble. Also a Canadian) I'm just so so so so so so soooooooo excited to go out there where the fields are LITERALLY white and ready to harvest. (can you harvest snow and ice? oh wait! they do in Frozen!)

Now without further ado, it's time for some major celebration photos!


This is from the official mission prep website I got from my call letter. Yikes

Yes. We got flocked. And yes. The flamingos are in companionships.



A lot blotchier.

I took Canadian cupcakes to work to announce my call!!!!

I'm so excited to serve a mission!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment