Monday, July 28, 2014

"We'll find Zion! WE WILL!"

This email is brought to you by the movie Legacy. It is my favorite movie. I will quote it a lot from now on. Stop everything you're doing right now and watch it! :)

THANK YOU FOR THE PACKAGE OF PICTURES AND CHOCOLATE! IT WAS LIKE A MIRACLE SENT FROM HEAVEN! I ALMOST DIED OF HAPPINESS. I understand now why missionaries say mail and packages are like gold.

Ready to hear a day in the life of a Sister in Edmonton? (as requested by mom)

6:30 - Alarm goes off and I fall out of bed to pray. :) Then I do "exercise" for 30 minutes. Usually exercise consists of some stretching, a few crunches, a few laps around the apartment, and then we go outside to jump rope and play Spiderman volleyball!!!

7-8 - Get ready. I shower as fast as I possibly can so that I have time to watch Legacy while I put on makeup and eat whatever pathetic breakfast I can come up with. Yes. I watch Legacy every morning. What can I say? It gets me in a good mood! haha.

8 - PERSONAL STUDY!! I love me some personal study time! I spend the first 15 minutes reading the Book of Mormon and highlighting every reference to the Savior. It's crazy! Right now I'm in Omni! Then I spend 25 to 30 minutes studying for lessons that we'll teach during the day. Then I spend the last 15 minutes studying my weekly topic. I made a list of 50+ topics and each week I choose one to study. This week will be the Godhead! I'm excited!

9 - COMP STUDY!! This is usually the challenging study time cause we have to stay focused! haha. But the first 15 minutes are spent singing and doing recitations and praying and whatnot. It's fun.

10 - TRAINING! haha. yeah. I don't really know what to say about training. It's really...training-y?

11-5:30 - LOTS OF MISSIONARY WORK!!!!! We do a lot of walking. We have learned to judge distance based on how long it takes to walk there. For example if you asked me how big my area is, I would say, it's a 30 minute walk from one end to the other. But if we have to walk the entire perimeter it takes like 80 minutes. :) Sadly, we have a lot of less-actives here. So we spend quite a bit of time visiting them. They're all so great. I love the people here.

6 - Supper. This week we actually have supper appointments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *tears of joy*
Seriously people. For the love of all things holy and good. Feed the missionaries. WE LOVE MEMBERS! WE WANT TO EAT YOUR FOOD AND TAKE SELFIES WITH YOUR KIDS AND TALK TO YOU ABOUT BEING MEMBER MISSIONARIES!!!!! haha. jk. sorta....

7-9 - MORE MISSIONARY WORK!!!!!!

9 - Nightly planning. It's supposed to be 30 minutes. But we end up taking longer cause we start having what we call "deep doctrine" talks. It's really great. I think our brains are getting wrinkly super fast these days.

10:30 - I usually fall into bed (literally) and sleep deeper than you can even imagine. :)

And then it starts all over again. :) DOESN'T THAT SOUND FUN!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
IT TOTALLY IS!

Oh man. #MissionLife. I love it.

So anyways. This week I accomplished a lot.

-I memorized Legacy. The whole movie.
-I memorized all my recitations.
-I memorized 3 Nephi 18:19-21
         19 Therefore ye must always pray unto the Father in my name;
         20 And whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is right, believing that ye shall receive,  behold it shall be given unto you.
           21 Pray in your families unto the Father, always in my name, that your wives and your children may be  blessed.

-I helped someone move.
-I filled up a whole notebook with mish stuff.
-I learned how to play bad minton from Y.

Doesn't that sound great?!

Since we walk ALL DAY, Sister Johnson and I like to play the Analogy Game where we pick a random object and a random gospel topic and we have to relate the 2 together. It's sooo fun! And it turns out we're pretty good at it! Then we found out that's actually a pretty good exercise cause then when we're talking to people, we'll be able to bring up the gospel in any conversation!!!!!!!!

So this week was a week of MIRACLES!
Let me tell you all about it.

So we went on exchanges this week and I was with my STL Sister Boyd in Castledowns. At first I was a little nervous. But it was amazing!!!!! This is what happened:

They came down to our area to do the switch. I got in the car. We left. About 30 minutes down the road, we realized that we didn't switch phones so Sister J and Sister K had both of them. So we had to turn around and go back. So we wasted like an hour and a half...Then we were really late to an appointment and then a member was late to our other appointment and then we didn't get home until like 10. It was crazy. AND THEN a member lady totally called us and chewed us out about something confusing. So we were like crying and stuff. It was insane!!! haha. But then it was good. Because we talked it out and prayed HARDCORE and then talked and cried some more. And it was wonderful! Plus then, we were so emotionally compromised, that we couldn't sleep so we had to stay up and talk about our families. Including pictures. :)

Then the next day we had our follow up interview and we just pretty much talked about EVERYTHING and how awesome and hard and crazy and amazing and stuff missionary work is. This is what she told me:

Every day is a MIRACLE.

The Bible Dictionary says that miracles are "manifestations of divine or spiritual power." And that they are "simply works, or the natural results of the Messiah's presence among men."

She asked me to share some miracles I've seen on my mission, and I as thought about it, I was quickly overcome with COUNTLESS miracles. Some were small, like the rain or the package from mom and dad with chocolate. Some were big, like Y praying or talking to SJ through the spirit. She pointed out to me that MIRACLES HAPPEN EVERY DAY. It is our job as missionaries to have faith to see miracles. Ever since that day, I have noticed hundreds of miracles in my life.

In the sisters' apartment in Castledowns, they have a THANKFUL WALL. They write stuff they are thankful for on a sticky note and stick it to the wall. Some are silly. Some are serious. But they are all miracles! I LOVE it. I think everyone should have a thankful wall in their house.

*insert clever transition here*

So this past week my study topic was the Holy Ghost. And I discovered a scripture that instantly made it to my list of favorites! It is 3 Nephi 19:9. ("And they did pray for that which they most desired; and they desired that the Holy Ghost should be given unto them.") I set a goal to ALWAYS live worthy to have the spirit. Even when I'm around people or things that make it harder. Oh man. It's made my life so interesting and wonderful!!!!!

I felt the spirit so strongly the other day when we had a lesson with Y. We helped her read a part of the Book of Mormon and then we invited her to pray about it. As we knelt down and listened to her prayer, the spirit completely washed over me! After her prayer it was just silent. And she looked at us and she said, "I feel so much love."

I want the spirit like that ALL THE TIME. Because the Savior does love us so much. ALL THE TIME.

Also there was almost a tornado here. It was so sketchy. Sister J and I were lost in the Elders' area just before bed when the storm got all crazy. It was so so so so sketchy. I think I almost cried. And we were like running down this alleyway. It was so fun. And weird. haha. We were like praying and running at the same time. And we had to cross this bridge and it was like swaying in the wind and there was a crazy guy on the bridge who was like "CAN YOU FEEL THE BRIDGE MOVING!!!!!?!?!?" haha. GO HOME CRAZY MAN! IT'S NOT SAFE HERE!

So then we made it home and we thought we should stay in the bathroom for safety. But then we prayed and decided we would be ok just sleeping....actually what happened was we were so tired from pray-running that we just fell asleep. hahaha. oh man. so great!

Then the storm lasted like 3 days and one of them was weekly planning day. But we still wanted ice cream. So we walked to get ice cream in the rain. And we got soaked. And our ice cream got soaked. :) haha and the guy at the store was like "Do you still work hard on days like this?" haha yes sir! We do!!! Missionary work rocks!!!

Did I tell you I memorized Legacy? Also we watched in in Japanese the other day. So I think maybe I'll learn it in Japanese. haha. Jk. But I could seriously learn Japanese since I know what they're saying. :) There's this part in Legacy where Eliza is saying goodbye to David and she's all sad and she says, quite dramatically, "if we ever meet again it will be zion to meeeeeeee!"

I am going to say that to Sister J when she gets transferred away from me. :) haha.

Anyways. Today is great. I'm in a good mood. I just love being a missionary. I want you all to know that. It's crazy how much I love this. I love loving people and helping them. I love bearing my testimony to people all the time! It's so great! Hard. But great!

So remember, when life gets tough, think of the words of Sister Katherine in Legacy
"WE CAN'T LOSE FAITH ELIZA!"

Love,
Sister Whiting

The Thankful wall

We love English class!!

"Just me on some sketchy bridge - NBD"
(For those who don't know, Sarah used to have a terrible fear of bridges)

Mr. Spike and Mrs. LaKasha

Storm's a-brewin'

The Ravine
It is in the Elder's area. The sisters got to visit their half of the ward and get a feel for it.
The Elders have to ride their bikes across to get places.

Basketball Tournament Volunteer

Finally, we got some Dairy Queen!

No comments:

Post a Comment