Tuesday, June 16, 2015

As Waiting For A Better Day, We Ever Stand on Guard!!

Note from the Editor: This is Sister Whiting's letter from June 9

Too many totally weird and hilarious things happened this week. I'm just gonna list them though cause the stories are too long. Ain't nobody got time for that! :)

-Our investigator C came back from her trip. She came to sacrament meeting and stayed for the whole time!!!! That's a huge deal since she spent like 14 years too afraid to leave her house.

-They took the Elders out of our ward. So now Sister Cardona and I are the sole providers for salvation here. #nopressure #lotsmorework The good part is that we get the car full time now. HOLLA HOLLA!

-On Wednesday, we had to drive some new sisters pretty much all over Edmonton. It was funny for me and Sister Cardona but extremely stressful for them. :/

-We now cover 5 sets of sisters which means I'll go on exchanges EVERY WEEK!!! Tomorrow I get to go to Red Deer. :)

-We got a new ward mission leader who is SOO intense!!! haha. Oh man. Ward council and coordination. It was all just so... haha it's so funny. So yeah. We might have to tame him a bit....

-We had the craziest day ever. We went tracting and we actually were let in to teach. TWICE. Then we went to teach our recent convert, but only her daughter and her friend were there. And they started attacking us with stuffies. (Remember the stuffed animal she was given at Christmas?) And we couldn't escape. Finally their mom came home and we started teaching the kids the "Follow the Prophet" song. Right after we finished, the friend jumped up and was like "I'm gonna go sing that to my parents!!" So we went too and sang "Follow the Prophet" to a random couple. #everythingisawkward #doitanyways

As embarrassing as that was, it was sooooo cool! First of all, kids make the BEST missionaries. Also. The parents thought it was soo cute that they asked their daughter to learn more songs to come sing to them. So now, every week when we go to teach our recent convert, we're gonna teach them primary songs for this girl to sing to her parents!!!!! IT:S SOOOO COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Another ward has an investigator named J and he came to our ward the other day. He got up and bore his testimony about how he knows this church is true because of the spirit he feels as he reads the Book of Mormon. It was craaaazazzzzzy cool.

I've noticed that being a sister training leader means we spend a lot more time doing administrative-ish stuff, rather than like actual missionary work. It seems like we have a shortage of really great missionary moments simply because we're so busy preparing trainings and addressing sister needs and so on. But this week, was AMAZING.

We have a recent convert named E and she is the most amazing woman I've ever met. She struggles so much though. And this past weekend she was admitted to the hospital for 30 days. So we went to go see her yesterday. And it was probably one of the most spiritual experiences I've had since I came to Lakewood. I felt the pure love of Christ as we sat and talked to her. If I didn't need to be exactly obedient, I would have spent all day with her there. As we left, I read D&C 121:7-9 to her and emphasized: Thy friends do stand by thee.

Seriously. I stand by these people. I love them so much and I truly desire so much joy for them. This morning, as I was studying, I read these lyrics and it pretty much perfectly describes how I'm feeling right now. (and yes. sometimes I like to read the national anthem during studies.)

Ruler Supreme

who hearest humble prayer

hold our dominion

in thy loving care.

Help us to find, O God, in thee

a lasting rich reward. 

As waiting for a better day

we ever stand on guard! 


God keep our land glorious and free

O Canada, I stand on guard for thee!

I LOVE this gospel and its ability to change me. I'm so grateful for the increase of love that I am able to develop for the people here and everywhere. I know that it is because of Jesus Christ that I can work each day to become better.

I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY!!!

Love you all!
Sister Whiting


We got this picture from another missionary mom. It was taken at her last MLC - Mission Leader Conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment