Tuesday, July 7, 2015

The Lord is My Light

Happy late Canada Day and Independence Day everyone!!! Hopefully you all got to enjoy super sweet fireworks and lots of red, white, and optionally blue.

Our week here in Lakewood was quite eventful and VERY spiritual. We had a super sweet Canada Day. First we went to our investigators house to make her breakfast. Afterward, we talked about setting goals and how to make it to baptism. We hadn't seen her in a few weeks. So it was really nice to be with her again.

Edmonton is the city of festivals. So of course Millwoods was having a super big celebration in the park. We volunteered as face painters. So for 3 hours we painted Canadian flags on crying babies and tried our best to talk to their parents about the gospel. Then obviously we had to indulge and get an elephant ear and some Indian food. The only hard thing about the day was that people don't really want us to try to talk to them while they're with their families....but whatevs. We did it anyway. #SorryNotSorry #ThisIsSalvation

On Thursday we went to see our little investigator A. She asked her mom if she could be baptized and her mom said YES!!!! In fact, she asked if she could get baptized sooner rather than later. So as soon as they get back form their holiday, she will get baptized. It was sooooo sweet. As soon as her mom said yes, she jumped up and ran to get paper so she could invite people to her baptism. Then she and her brother insisted we sing "I am a child of God" and "Popcorn Popping" before we left. It was soooo great. Oh man. :) I just love them so much.

Our recent convert C's daughter got baptized on Saturday. It was sooooooooo wonderful! She loves the sister missionaries. So she insisted that we sit in the front row by her. (We ended up getting glitter from her baptism dress ALL over us. haha We told her it was angel dust.) It was especially cool because the sister missionary who taught C before she was baptized came back to Edmonton for it!! It was Sister Graham!!!! (She was like my idol missionary my first transfer) It was soooooo great to see her there again.

In between the actual baptism and the confirmation, Sister Cardona and I did a musical number. We sang "Joseph Smith's First Prayer" to the tune of "Come Thou Fount". Sister Cardona played a beautiful arrangement of it and I sang. On the last verse, there is no accompaniment so I sang it acapella. I was really nervous, so as I sang, I focused on the words:

"Joseph, this is my Beloved;
Hear him!" Oh, how sweet the word!
Joseph's humble prayer was answered,
And he listened to the Lord.
Oh, what rapture filled his bosom,
For he saw the living God;
Oh, what rapture filled his bosom,
For he saw the living God.


Miraculously the room, filled with people, was so quite as I sang. The spirit was so powerful. I could hardly keep myself from crying. As I sang those words, they rang true to my heart. I KNOW that Joseph Smith really did see God the Father and Jesus Christ. God answered the prayer of a young boy. And I also KNOW that God will answer all of our prayers because HE LOVES US! No matter how simple the question, He is anxious to teach us. :)


It was so wonderful to have such a spiritual experience. It really strengthened my testimony. And good thing!!!! God was preparing me for a trial!!!

Last night we went to a potential investigator's house to teach them. Long story short, they ended up just reading anti-Mormon material to us. It was the most painful thing I've ever had to endure!!! I told Sister Cardona it felt like we were being pulled into a black hole of total sadness (so pretty much dementor status. #harrypotterpride) It was because the spirit, we ALWAYS have, wasn't with us!!

He probably thought he was successfully shaking my testimony. But I wasn't sad because I was doubting. I was sad because of the hardness of his heart. Why would he go to such great lengths to persecute the church unless it really is the true church? I know he is a child of God. But he doesn't know. And he won't for a long time because he has closed his heart to the spirit of our Heavenly Father.

As I was getting ready for bed, I read from the Book of Mormon:

"Nephi went his way towards his own house, pondering upon the things which the Lord had shown unto him.

And it came to pass as he was thus pondering—being much cast down because of the wickedness of the people of the Nephites, their secret works of darkness, and their murderings, and their plunderings, and all manner of iniquities—and it came to pass as he was thus pondering in his heart, behold, a voice came unto him saying:

Blessed art thou, Nephi, for those things which thou hast done; for I have beheld how thou hast with unwearyingness declared the word, which I have given unto thee, unto this people. And thou hast not feared them, and hast not sought thine own life, but hast sought my will, and to keep my commandments.

And now, because thou hast done this with such unwearyingness, behold, I will bless thee forever; and I will make thee mighty in word and in deed, in faith and in works; yea, even that all things shall be done unto thee according to thy word, for thou shalt not ask that which is contrary to my will." Helaman 10
No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing!!!!! Though Satan leads mens' hearts away, we don't have to let him lead us! We can fill our minds and hearts with the light and love of God so that there is no room for darkness. (or black holes of total sadness)

I'm just soooo thankful that I get this chance to help people to fill their lives with this light. I know it is true. For that which is light is of God. The Lord truly is my light.

SHINE THE LIGHT!

Love,
Sister Whiting

Note from the Editor: I asked her if she has been eating more red meat to get some iron. She said she has had lots this last week and has much of her energy back.  She feels her fainting spell was just low iron as the Mission President's wife suggested. I'm so glad!!! 
Millwoods Canada Day Volunteers



L's Baptism
Sister Graham is next to Sister Cardona
Sister Graham and Family


No comments:

Post a Comment