Saturday, October 10, 2015

Strive!!!!!


October 6, 2015
Well I don't have much time to email this week because I have a lot to do to prepare for transfers!!! That's right. I'm getting a new companion! :( Sister Wilson is moving to the Strathcona Married Student Ward and I'm staying in Glen Allan to TRAIN A NEW MISSIONARY!!!!!!!!!! I'm extremely nervous. (Yes. This means I am no longer a Sister Training Leader. Just thought I would clarify. Sister Wilson is taking the STL with her.)

So I gotta go get the house ready. We finished nightly planning quite early last night, so I cut pictures out of Ensigns and decorated the wall, thus creating a spiritual environment for my new sister!! :)

(The photo at the top is the "pictures out of Ensigns" to decorate for her new trainee. NBD.)

Remember my favourite little investigator A from Lakewood?!?!??! SHE GOT BAPTIZED !!!!! It was such a treat to be able to go. She iMessaged me last week and asked me if I would give a talk at her baptism. So I spoke on the gift of the Holy Ghost. I love her so much. It was soooooo fun!!! Her mom (not a member) gave the closing prayer and asked God to make sure Ashaya would become a missionary too. :O What a miracle. Then, after her baptism, she walked around and gave copies of the Book of Mormon to all the nonmembers who were there!!!!! It was so cute. I'm so proud of her. Because of her decision to be baptized, her whole extended family will be influenced and blessed. I. LOVE. MISSIONARY. WORK. #tearsofjoy #purehappiness

Baaaaaa I gotta go!!! Real quick spiritual thought!! There is a new youth video called Strive and it has really become my motto. Like seriously. I'm obsessed. In the video, it says:

"We must realize that ours is the responsibility to rise from mediocrity to competence, from failure to achievement--to be our best selves. Now be strong. Live the gospel faithfully even if others around you don't live it at all. Defend your beliefs with courtesy and with compassion, but defend them. Remember: little things lead to big things. Seemingly insignificant indiscretions or neglect can lead to big problems. We need to rise above rationalizations and distractions. Do not drift off course, not even a few degrees. Hearken unto the Lord your God. It is never too late to strengthen the foundation of faith. There is always time. We need to bear in mind that people can change. They can put behind them bad habits. They can repent from transgressions. Find happiness in ordinary things, and keep your sense of humor. To strengthen our relationship with God, we need some meaningful time alone with Him. There is no tomorrow to remember if we don't do something today, and to live most fully today, we must do that which is of greatest importance. Each of us has a part to play in the plan, and each of us is equally valued in the eyes of the Lord. We are not and never need be alone. We can press forward in our daily lives with #heavenlyhelp. Through the Savior's Atonement, we can receive capacity and strength beyond our own. We never need feel that we are alone or unloved in the Lord's service because we never are. Strive to be that kind of disciple of the Father and the Son, and your influence will neverfade. Always remember--you matter to Him! And never give up."

I simply want to add my testimony to that of the apostles. I know this is the true gospel of Jesus Christ and we must STRIVE to be more like Him. I am grateful for this knowledge I have.

Have a great week!!!

Love,
Sister Whiting

P.S. Sorry this email isn't very entertaining. I am totally nervous to train. haha!


 
Me and my girl, A.

Yeah. This is what we actually look like. 

Whilst trying to find our investigator on her favourite walking path, we noticed a gorgeous sky. 
Did some ladder climbing service
Our little baptism queen. (She said she felt like a karate queen...fair enough)

She insisted.....haha :)

Original team.
  Sister Cardona and Sister Whiting began teaching her until Sister Cardona finished her mission and went home.

Like I said, our natural state.....

My favourite Filipina. #shesanormalpersonnow #melanie #what #ew #fulnessofjoy


Editor's Note:
Sarah's Dad and I played this in the car on the way to the MTC with Sister Whiting's brother. Sister Whiting loved this list when we shared it with her.


I'm going to the MTC and I'm bringing...

an Attitude that's positive and ready for adventure
a Book of Mormon/bravery
a Courageous Cute Elder
the Discussions/determination
Everthing on my packing list/excitement
my Family, the ultimate fan club/faith
Good works/goals
the Holy Ghost/happiness/humility
Interest in learning Spanish
Joy/just do it attitude
Kind words
Love/laughter
Motivation
New suits
Obedience with exactness/Open mind
Priesthood power/Passion for the gospel Jesus Christ/Plan of salvation/physical strength
Quiet pondering/quick learning skills
Repentance/raincoat in the mail
Self-reliance/the support of my ward, family, friends, bishop/Spanish Preach My Gospel/Santa Biblia
Testimony/ties
Understanding of God's love for me
Valiant service
Word of God/willingness to work (and the Whiting name)
Xlnt family who loves me dearly
Yearning to serve the Lord/
Zion (of one heart and one mind)



"So fun surprising you!! Can you believe Mom kept the secret that long?? Nice job, Mom!!!"
(Since Sister Whiting is scheduled to come home a week after Christmas, and her brother was heading out for his own mission on Oct 7, President Manion gave her permission to skip the Christmas phone call and
Skype us Conference weekend!!)

                     Elder Parker Whiting had his own surprise for Sister Whiting! 
Parker got this for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):)
Oh my goodness!!!! I love it so much!!!!!!! Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Watchin' conference at Cindy's. :) 
Sneak Peek at her new companion....stay tuned next week for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment