Monday, January 4, 2016

There was a glitch in her mission email account so we didn't get this letter from her until AFTER she got home. She loved her mission, as you will see, and had a hard time saying goodbye. But she is doing well getting acclimated to normal life. And we are beyond thrilled to have her back. -Mom

I'm just gonna start off by saying it's the hardest thing in the world to try to think of the title for your last missionary email ever. For example, here were the options I was considering:
-Unsure What To Call This Email Cause It's Like...So Much Pressure
          -I Know That My Redeemer Lives
-Saying Goodbye=Worst Thing Ever
          -Ode to the Canada Edmonton Mission
-What the heck time?!?! Slow down!!
         -Packing and How to Make it Less of a Torture.
-T-Minus 53 Hours Left
-#TheFinalCountdown #TheLastMelon #TheGrandFinale #eeeeewwwwwwwwww

So.....you can probably guess how I feel right now. At the end of the mission.........................................................................................
But instead of focusing on that dreadful business I thought I'd tell you about my Christmas week!! (But just to warn you this email is being written on little to no sleep so it might get a little boring)

Christmas Eve we spent with our Ward Mission Leader's parents, the Butlers. (The same ones who gave us a tour of Edmonton) It was sooooooo great!! We ate a huge fancy meal. They made us try dates.....(not really the highlight of the meal, but hey! I tried them!) Brother Butler is a wood working wizard so for Christmas he made each of us a super fancy candlestick!

They heard how much I missed singing in the Messiah. So we hooked up an accompaniment of Handel's Messiah to the surround sound and stood in a circle to sing along. Like. Seriously. We just stood there belting FOOOR UNTO US A CHILD IS BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORN. It was so fun. I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

For Christmas Day we had meal after meal after meal. #whereismywaistline #gone It was so fun! We helped some kids build their Lego Hockey Rink  #onlyincanada Then of course taught them about the true meaning of Christmas. ;) Or at least tried. They were pretty excited about Lego hockey.
My favourite human ever, J, made us some Dutch food for lunch and them had us take her rock solid frozen laundry off the line outside..... The rest of the day we pretty much just visited lonely people and sang Christmas music to them. And ate more. Ya know. Life.

We made gingerbread houses with the Bishop's wife and kids. We went carolling with the Elders. We ate lots of food. So yeah. I'd say it was pretty good. I spoke in sacrament meeting yesterday and it produced a lot of tears.

I LOVE GLEN ALLAN. Seriously these people here are CELESTIAL. I wish I could just pack them up and take them with me!!! I can't imagine not knowing them! I can't imagine not knowing any of the people I've met in Greenfield, Drayton  Valley, Lakewood or Glen Allan. Ok. Yeah. Sorry. I'm. Freaking out right now.

Moving on. Yesterday was the worst day in the history of the world because we had to take Sister Kwasney to the airport. (Also we had to wake up at like 3am but it was worth it) You guessed it. I cried. Let me just take a second to say I LOVE THAT GIRL. She has changed my life. And so I'm sad. Cause she's like infinite miles away from me. :(

But then I made the day better for Sister McSweeney cause it was her birthday!!!!! She turned 22 so I sang her a little T-Swizzle and took her out for breakfast. And after I freaked out about getting my suitcases under 50 lbs for a bit, we went to say goodbye to everyone. Also Sister Cardona came to see me and I could have died from happiness seeing her.

But instead of telling you all about how sad it was to say goodbye to everyone, I think I'll just tell you my testimony and call it good. :)

I have a testimony that the essence of the gospel is LOVE. I LOVE my Saviour Jesus Christ. I know He lives and loves me. As a missionary, I've learned just how much he loves everyone because as I've served others, I've felt His love for them. And it's amazing. I love everyone here sooooo much!!

I'm so grateful I came on a mission. I'm thankful for my dad who always made it seem like the coolest thing to be a missionary. He's the reason I wanted to come out in the first place. I have a testimony that this is God's work. It's hard to serve a mission. And sometimes hard things happen. But I am grateful for every minute of it. It's SO worth it. And I am so happy for the chance I had to be here.

Love Love Love,
Sister Whiting

My last distric meeting!!! :(
The bishop and his family

Decorating gingerbread houses

Milo was dying to eat his!
Awe... So Cute!
Christmas morning!  Sister K's family has a tradition of getting matching ridiculous Christmas pj's.
Called home to talk to these people....
...the family on the other end of the phone call

Editor's note: It has been a joy to read Sister Whiting's weekly letters and get a glimpse into her experiences as she has served, taught, and loved the people of the Canada Edmonton Mission. Thank you for your support and prayers on her behalf. Next blog post will be directly from her.




No comments:

Post a Comment